Friday 18 June 2010

Pay Per Click advertising- The Morphsuit

Despite the fact that this blog claims to be about tv, print, and internet advertising, almost every post I've written has been about videos- mostly tv ads. Whilst some of these have been viral adverts, there aren't a great deal of them about. One of the more prevalent forms of advertising online is Pay Per Click, as it suggests, you pay everytime someone clicks on your advert. You see these adverts every time you type something into google (on the right side), or every time you're on facebook. Google uses your search term (amongst other, more clandestine factors) to figure out what adverts are shown on the right side of your screen. Facebook, on the other hand, uses the information you give it.
Usually it just takes demographic factors into account- age, gender etc.. But sometimes it takes your interests into account: for example, when I first set up a facebook account, in music and interests I'd written "Pink Floyd", so for a while, every time I refreshed my homepage or visited someone else's page, I was greeted with an advert for David Gilmour t-shirts.
All of which leads me to question why this advert has started appearing in my feed:

This is possibly a bit of rational thinking taken to quite an extreme. Currently my relationship status is set to "single", so facebook has taken this to mean that I am desperate enough to buy a full body suit with the intention of getting off with some floozy on a night out, and has written the advert accordingly. Complete with a testimonial.
Then again, it's very difficult to guess precisely what sort of segment a product such as The Morphsuit (I couldn't resist having a look at the website) is aimed at. So far the only practical suggestion I can see for its use is to buy a gold one for a fancy dress film night and go as an Oscar.

1 comment:

  1. Choosing the right keywords for your Pay Per Click Advertising campaign is the most important factor in determining the success of your campaign.

    Pay Per Click

    ReplyDelete