Monday 14 June 2010

What's in a name? Microsoft Kinect

Currently I am going through the rather terrible process of attempting to rename the brand that I designed a logo for a couple of weeks ago. It's something of a sticky wicket, and despite various attempts at brainstorming, making lists of potential names, prefixes, suffixes and various other cheaper fixes (I consumed a large amount of alcohol this weekend- although not in a bid to pluck a name out of thin air), I still have not hit upon that perfect name yet.

Anyway, whilst on the subject of new names, Microsoft announced a name change of their project Natal. I was particularly attached to the Natal moniker, so I am a little disappointed with the fact they've changed it. I was quite looking forward to having a shiny box on my television with "Natal" emblazoned on its noble flank.Or something.
Still, looking at it from someone currently beset by a creative block regarding names, the new name is actually a fantastic one. Bearing in mind that the whole thing is based around movement (or kinetic activity), it is a fairly descriptive word. In addition to this, "Kinect" sounds a little like "Connect", albeit said in an Australian accent. It's the same slightly nauseaous thought process that Nintendo had behind the wii, but it has the notable advantage of not being homophonous with an unwanted bodily fluid.

I guess it is the product of a multi-million pound company paying ridiculous amounts of money to people to come up with a new name. Some wonderfully clever wordplay. If anyone has any suggestings for my stuff, feel free to comment in the, well, comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment